Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Tourism and Business (B1/B2)

Business and Tourist Visas (B1/B2)


Most non-immigrants are temporary visitors coming for business or pleasure, or both.

B-1 Temporary Visitor for Business

B-1 visas are issued to temporary visitors for business. "Business" does not generally include gainful employment (although there are exceptions), but it does include almost any other legitimate commercial activity. For example, a B-1 recipient may come to consult with business associates, negotiate a contract, buy goods or materials, settle an estate, appear as a witness in a court trial, participate in business or professional conventions or conferences, or undertake independent research.

For more information on business visas, please see the following link:

B-2 Temporary Visitor for Pleasure

Most non-immigrants are temporary visitors coming temporarily for pleasure. A B-2 visa is issued for purposes such as touring, visits to friends and relatives, visits for rest or medical treatment, participation in conventions, conferences, or convocations of fraternal or social organizations, and participation by amateurs, who will receive no remuneration, in musical, sports and similar events or contests.

B1/B2 Temporary Visitor for Business and Pleasure

Most applicants should receive a combined B1/B2, enabling them entry for either business or pleasure, or both.


The law requires that the alien have a residence abroad, which he or she does not intend to abandon. This residence is usually established by showing ties with the applicant’s home country. Such ties may include business, employment, family, property or other connections, tangible or intangible, which satisfy a consular officer that the alien will leave the United States voluntarily after a temporary visit.

BCC (Laser Visa) and BBBCV

Mexican citizens traveling for business or tourism may receive a B1/B2 Border Crossing Card (BCC) or a B1/B2 Border Crossing Visa (BBBCV).  The BCC is a credit card-sized visa; the BBBCV is paper visa foil affixed inside of a passport.

The U.S. Consulate General in Guadalajara is currently issuing BCCs (often called “laser visas”) to most applicants who qualify for a 10-year B1/B2 visa. Successful applicants will receive their BCC visa in three to four weeks. Please remember to notify the interviewing Consular Officer of your intended date of travel.

All BCCs and BBBCVs are valid until the expiration date printed on the visa.

Additional Information

For more information about media and journalist visa regulations, visit the 'Visitor Visas' section of Travel.State.Gov.

For more information about the Consulate's visa application process, please see Visa Application Steps.