Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Lost or Stolen Passports

The American Citizens Services section will only issue emergency passports for urgent, usually life or death, travel. Applicants requesting an emergency passport will be required to provide proof of immediate travel plans such as a valid itinerary or airline tickets, as well as an explanation for why the travel plans cannot be changed to allow sufficient time for the processing of a full-validity passport, which generally take about three weeks. In most cases, same-day issuance is possible for emergency passports; however, some cases require approval from the Department of State prior to issuance. We urge travelers to allow adequate time to process a full-validity passport in lieu of an emergency passport. Please note emergency passports are of a limited-validity (usually one to two months) while a full-validity passport is valid for 10 years for adults and five years for minors.

Step 1: Report the Theft to the Local Police

In the event that your passport is lost or stolen while in Mexico, the U.S. Consulate Guadalajara encourages you to report the loss or theft of your passport to local authorities, and to obtain a police report. 

Step 2:  Photos

You must bring 2 U.S. passport-sized (2” x 2”, or 5 cm x 5 cm) pictures with you. Please note that these photos are larger than the photos required for a Mexican passport. There are no facilities at the Consulate to take pictures.

Your photographs must be:

  • Identical;
  • In color;
  • 2" x 2" in size (between 1" and 1 3/8" from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head;
  • Taken in normal street attire. Uniforms should not be worn in photographs except religious attire that is worn daily.
  • Do not wear a hat or headgear that obscures the hair unless it is for religious purposes and worn daily.
  • You may not wear dark glasses unless you need them for medical reasons.

Note: Vending machine photos are not generally acceptable.

Step 3: Fill out the Required Forms

You will have to fill out two forms:

  1. Form DS-64, "Statement Regarding A Lost Or Stolen Passport," (PDF 767 KB)

  2. Form DS-11.

It will expedite the process if you can download and print the forms, arriving at the Consulate with the forms already filled out.

Note: Do not sign the forms until you have been instructed to do so by a consular officer.

Step 4: Make an appointment

Make an appointment to “ Replace a lost/stolen/damaged passport.” If your need to travel is urgent and cannot be postponed, also select the option “Need to travel in the next 15 business days and can present evidence of such plans (in conjunction with any of the above services).” At the time of your interview, you may request a same-day passport for urgent travel that cannot be postponed; you must present your itinerary or ticket at the time of interview. If there are not appointments available before your date of urgent and confirmed travel, you may come to the Consulate at 7:30 AM to request an emergency appointment. Please note that if there are appointments available before your date of travel, you must make an appointment.


Payment must be made in cash, either U.S. dollars or the Mexican peso equivalent, or with a major credit card. Credit cards will be charged in U.S. dollars. Checks cannot be accepted. Damaged bills or bills lacking security features will not be accepted.

Application requirements, including fees, for emergency passports are the same as those for full-validity passports, $135 USD.  Fees must be paid in the Consulate at the time of your appointment.

U.S. Consular Agency Puerto Vallarta

Please note that you may also apply for an emergency passport at the U.S. Consular Agency in Puerto Vallarta.

American Clock

  • american clock stamp


  • Appointments for Passport Services can be made here.

Personal Safety

  • Personal Safety