Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
U.S. Citizen Services

General Information

American Citizen Services

The American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit of the U.S. Consulate General Guadalajara provides a wide range of services to U.S. citizens visiting or residing in Mexico.  The ACS Unit issues passports, registers Americans born in Mexico, performs notarials, and provides assistance both to Americans who are arrested in Mexico and to the families of Americans who pass away in our consular district which includes the Mexican States of Jalisco, Aguascalientes, Colima, and Nayarit.

The American Citizen Services Unit cannot act as a travel agent, bank, lawyer, investigator, or law enforcement agent. Please do not expect the ACS Unit to find you employment, obtain housing or driving permits, act as interpreters, search for missing luggage, settle disputes with hotel managers or pay any bills.

The U.S. Department of State and embassies and consulates abroad are charged with providing consular protection and services to United States citizens abroad. The Department of State maintains a web site, that outlines services and provides general information for American Citizens traveling and residing abroad.

You can also contact the Office of Overseas Citizens Services toll free number: 1-888-407-4747

Mexico is a beautiful and interesting country with a great deal to offer almost any traveler. Mexico has many laws and practices that are different from those of the United States, however, and it is important that visitors and residents understand these differences in order to avoid common pitfalls and enjoy a trouble-free stay. The information in the following pages has been prepared for the benefit of U.S. citizens traveling in the Guadalajara area, whether they are passing through, spending the winter months here, or residing in the Guadalajara area year-round. For additional information about traveling or living in Mexico, you may wish to visit the web site of the Mexican Embassy in Washington D.C. or the Mexican Ministry of Tourism.

We sincerely hope you enjoy your time in Mexico.


  • Appointments for Passport Services can be made here.

Travel of Minors


    IMPORTANT: The U.S. Consulate General  in Guadalajara, Jalisco advises that the Mexican National Immigration Institute (INM) is still finalizing plans for implementation of the regulations.  The below reflects current guidance; this information will be updated as more becomes available from the Mexican authorities. 

    On January 2, 2014, the Mexican National Immigration Institute (INM) will begin to enforce a new law with regard to minor (under 18 years of age) travel if:

    • The minor is departing Mexico (i.e. not entering);
    • Traveling by air or sea;
    • Traveling alone or with a third party of legal age (grandparent, uncle/aunt, school group, etc.); and
    • Using Mexican documents (birth certificate, passport, temporary or permanent Mexican residency).

    The minor will be required to present a notarized document showing the consent to travel from both parents (or those with parental authority or legal guardianship), in addition to a passport, in order to leave Mexico.  The document should be in Spanish; an English version must be accompanied by a Spanish translation.  The document must be notarized or apostilled (for information, fees, for notarial services at the U.S. Consulate General in Guadalajara, Jalisco in please visit the following link).  The minor should carry the original letter (not a facsimile or scanned copy) as well as proof of the parent/child relationship (birth certificate or court document such as a custody decree, plus photocopies of both parents’ government-issued identification).  To view a sample travel consent letter click here.

    According to INM, this new regulation does NOT apply to a minor traveling with one parent or legal guardian, i.e. a consent letter from the missing parent is NOT required.  In addition the regulation is not intended to apply to dual national minors (Mexican plus another nationality) if the minor is departing Mexico using the passport of the other nationality.  However, if the minor is departing Mexico using the Mexican passport, the regulation does apply.  The Consulate General in Guadalajara, Jalisco, nevertheless recommends that dual nationals travel prepared with a consent letter from both parents.

    The U.S. Consulate General in Guadalajara, Jalisco has received numerous reports of U.S. citizens being required to provide notarized consent forms for circumstances falling outside of the categories listed above, and/or being asked for such permission at land border crossings.  Therefore, the U.S. Consulate General in Guadalajara, Jalisco, recommends all minors traveling without both parents carry a notarized consent letter at all times in the event airline or Mexican immigration representatives request one.

    Travelers should contact the Mexican Embassy, the nearest Mexican consulate, or INM for more information.

Tell us what you think

  • We appreciate any feedback, positive or negative, on our services.  To let us know how we're doing send us an email to

Personal Safety

  • Personal Safety