Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Property Regulations in Mexico

Real Estate and Timeshares

U.S. citizens should exercise caution before entering into any commitment to purchase property in Mexico. We recommend hiring competent Mexican legal counsel to advise you because Mexican real estate law differs significantly from U.S. law. For more information, please consult the Consular Information Sheet for Mexico.

PROFECO, the Mexican Consumer Protection Agency, has published a brochure entitled Take Your Time When Buying a Timeshare (PDF 145 KB) which gives more information about buying a timeshare in Mexico.

American citizens who experience problems with timeshare companies can file a formal complaint against the company with PROFECO. PROFECO has the authority to mediate disputes, investigate consumer complains, order hearings, and, levy fines and sanctions for not appearing at hearings. All complaints by U.S. citizens are handled by PROFECO's English-speaking office in Mexico City:


From Mexico: (01-55) 6090-6633 and 5090-6700, ext 1317
From the U.S.: 011-52-55-6090-6633 and 5090-6700, ext 1317


We strongly suggest you contact PROFECO via email to maintain a record of your communications. A telephone call cannot be verified. The U.S. Consulate Guadalajara can assist in filing your claim with PROFECO although we cannot act as your legal agent. American citizens can send their information by fax:

From Mexico: (01-33) 3268-2200 ext. 2273
From the U.S.: 011-52-33-3268-2200 ext. 2273

or email

Stolen Vehicles

In 1983, the U.S. and Mexican governments signed a treaty regarding recovery of stolen vehicles and aircraft. If a vehicle that is stolen in the U.S. is taken to Mexico and recovered by Mexican law enforcement, the U.S. Consulate Guadalajara works with the legal owner to return it to the U.S. Unfortunately, the U.S. Consulate Guadalajara does not have the resources to conduct independent investigations. Owners of stolen vehicles should file a report with their local police department and notify their insurance agency.

Boat Registration

If you are sailing or boating to Mexico, you must follow Mexican regulations for the temporary import of your vessel. Failure to obtain a permit and follow the import regulations could result in the detention of your vessel. More information is available from the Mexican government here:


The U.S. Consulate Guadalajara is unable to assist U.S. citizens in cashing checks drawn on U.S. accounts. If you are having problems with a bank account in Mexico, we may assist you in contacting the bank to obtain further information. We cannot act as your legal agent to open or close an account.

Personal Safety

  • Personal Safety