Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
What are the requirements for taking my car to Mexico?

The Mexican Revenue Department has provided the following guidance for taking a car into Mexico.  Contact the nearest Mexican consulate in the United States for more information.

What do you need before leaving your home?

  1. Vehicle Registration or Title for your vehicle (bring original and two copies).
  2. A valid U.S. or Canadian Driver's License. 
  3. Proof of Legal Residence in the U.S.:  Birth Certificate, Passport, or Resident Alien Card.

What are the procedures when you get to the border?

  1. Go to the Mexican Customs (ADUANA)/Vehicle Control Checkpoint
  2. Fill out form:  TEMPORARY IMPORT PERMIT
  4. Fill out form:  Tourist Card (FMT or FME).
  5. Go to Banjercito (Mexican Army Bank) with those three Forms.
  6. Complete vehicle security deposit procedure by using any of the three available methods: Credit Card, Bond or Bank Deposit.

What other information should you know about driving your car in Mexico?

  1. You must have these documents with you while driving:  TEMPORARY IMPORT PERMIT, VEHICLE RETURN PROMISE AGREEMENT, Tourist Card (FMT or FME), Your Driver's License, Proof of Citizenship.  IMPORTANT NOTE:  Do not leave any documents in your  unattended vehicle.
  2. The temporarily imported vehicle may be driven by the spouse or adult children of the importer (U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident of the U.S.).  Also, foreigners with the same Mexican immigration status of the importer may drive the vehicle.
  3. Mexican nationals residing in Mexico or foreigners or foreigners residing permanently in Mexico may drive the vehicle only if the importer, the importer's spouse or the importer's adult son or daughter is in the vehicle.